Just Catamarans Presents: Toolbox Talk
Toolbox Talk from Just Catamarans Service is a series of articles to help maintain your yacht to the highest standards. This article focuses on the importance to keep your vessel clean while understanding the health concerns of using powerful chemicals within the cleaning products. Protect yourself and your family with the following tips from Just Catamarans and contact our Service team if you need help with this or other issues to your vessel.
Some cleaning chemicals can be hazardous, causing problems ranging from skin rashes and burns to coughing and asthma. When handling cleaning chemicals it is important to be aware of the potential health harms it can cause with improper safety practices.
Potential Health Problems Caused by Cleaning Products
- Irritation to the skin and eyes.
- Severe burns if splashed on the skin or eyes.
- Irritation in the nose throat and lungs.
Symptoms to Look out for during Chemical Exposure
- Burning Eyes
- Sore Throat
- Trouble Breathing
Warning: Mixing cleaning products that contain bleach and ammonia can cause SEVERE LUNG DAMAGE OR DEATH
Safe Work Practices When Using Cleaning Products
- Read the warning label and directions before use.
- Use proper protective equipment when handling cleaning chemicals such as goggles, gloves and respiratory masks.
- Always use cleaning chemicals in well-ventilated areas or provide proper ventilation when needed.
- Wash eyes and skin thoroughly upon contact and go to a well-ventilated area if breathing becomes a problem, for severe cases contact 911 for emergency medical attention.
- Never mix different cleaning chemicals together to avoid the release of dangerous gases.
Contact the Just Catamarans Service team to help with all your Catamaran needs.